Over the last 30 years, dental implants have survived very well, both clinically and commercially. Patients and implant dentists alike have found that these artificial teeth are the most natural and most effective solution for tooth replacement, in terms of their appearance as well as their ability to function on a daily basis.
Current statistics have shown that there’s about a 95% probability that your dental implants will last at least 15 years. In implant dentistry, the first 5 years are considered to be the most critical, and a dental implant that exceeds this mark can be expected to last for a very long time. In fact, when a patient is healthy, with adequate bone, and very good oral hygiene, a dental implant can last for a lifetime.
With guidance from your implant dentist, the lifespan of your dental implants will depend upon how well you care for them, just like your natural teeth.
- Showing up for your regularly schedule maintenance appointments and practicing good plaque control at home will extend the life of your new teeth. Without diligent care, your implants are subject to the same plaque accumulation and gum disease that can threaten your real teeth.
- Whether your artificial teeth are placed into natural bone or grafted bone, there is a risk for failure without a plentiful amount of dense and healthy bone to surround the implant post.
- Avoid smoking for long-term implant success. Studies show that smokers are almost 3 times more likely to suffer from implant failure than a non-smoker.
- Lifestyle habits such as bruxism (clenching or grinding the teeth together), chewing ice, and contact sports can weaken the bond between the implant post and the jawbone, resulting in the premature loss of the tooth.
- Health conditions that are not controlled properly, such as diabetes and heart disease can prevent healing after the implant has been placed and increase the risk for periodontal disease.
The success rate for each dental implant will be influenced by a number of contributing factors. Partner with our implant dentists today to learn more. Call ORA® Oral Surgery & Implant Studio at 312-328-9000 to schedule your professional consultation.